Is zamioculcas dangerous - how it affects humans and animals

Article rating

The favorite houseplant of Russian flower growers - Zamioculcas - came from hot Africa. Like all aroids, this flower is poisonous, therefore it requires a special approach to cultivation. If there are small children and pets in the house, it should be treated with extreme caution.

Is zamioculcas dangerous - how it affects humans and animals

Is zamioculcas dangerous - how it affects humans and animals

Dangerous or not zamioculcas

The plant contains sap, which has a toxic effect on the body. However, zamioculcas does not emit any poisonous vapors, therefore, simply finding it in the house is not dangerous.

The poison is harmful only if it gets on the mucous membranes - in the mouth, nose, eyes.

The toxic sap circulates throughout the plant, so that all parts are poisonous. There are especially a lot of toxins in tubers.

With any damage to the leaves or branches, a white thick liquid immediately begins to ooze from the wound. It is she who poses the greatest danger. An allergic reaction can also be caused by pollen from the flowers of the plant.

How does the plant affect children

An adult is unlikely to deliberately gnaw the leaves of a plant, but children may become interested in what a flower tastes like.

For a baby, the consequences of such "acquaintance" with a flower can be expressed in the following:

  1. Allergic reactions (urticaria, rash, lacrimation, runny nose, wheezing);
  2. Chemical burns on the skin in the form of redness;
  3. If swallowed - stomach upset, nausea, abdominal cramps;
  4. If the juice gets into the eyes - lacrimation, conjunctivitis, damage to the membrane of the eye.

Symptoms of severe poisoning: abdominal pain, persistent vomiting, fever, loose stools, sometimes hallucinations and loss of consciousness.

If pollen gets on the mucous membranes, urgent hospitalization is required, because without treatment, the decrease in visual acuity can become irreversible.

How does a plant affect animals

On cats

Cats have a constant need for fresh greens. Many make up for it by gnawing on indoor flowers. Toxic juice, getting into the stomach of the animal, causes severe poisoning.

An attentive owner will immediately notice that something is wrong with the pet. The cat screams, lies down on its front paws, vomits, foam comes out of the mouth.

The further outcome depends on the dose received. In any case, she needs to be urgently taken to the veterinarian for gastric lavage.

Important! The degree of intoxication directly depends on the time that will elapse from the moment of poisoning. Washing and adsorbents received by the animal in the first hour will save his life. Otherwise, death is possible.

On dogs

Dogs do not feel the need to eat greenery in the house, but they are by nature playful. This is especially true for small puppies - they gnaw everything that catches their eye.

Zamioculcas leaves can attract a furry mischievous person, he will begin to bite and pull them, so poisonous substances will enter the mouth and stomach.

Place flowers out of the reach of animals

Place flowers out of the reach of animals

Symptoms of poisoning are the same as in cats - pain, vomiting, foam at the mouth, tremors. The animal needs the help of a veterinarian immediately.

You can avoid problems if you put a flowerpot with a flower higher, where the pet will not jump. With a cat, this "trick" will not work, but for a dog it will be enough.

On the birds

Cases of poisoning of parrots with zamioculcas poison have been recorded. These curious birds sometimes peck at plants - out of interest or out of boredom.

The danger is that it is impossible to flush the toxin out of their stomach - washing will kill the bird sooner than the poison itself. They have a completely different digestive system and no bladder, so saving the parrot will have to be different.

At the first symptoms of poisoning:

  • With a syringe without a needle, an adsorbent diluted in water is poured into the beak - activated carbon, Enterosgel, Karbolen, Sorbeks.
  • An hour later, you need to give a laxative - a decoction of flax seeds, or Glauber's salt. When vomiting, 1 drop of Cerucal is dripped into the beak of the parrot.
  • Further, you only need a plentiful drink.

If the dose of the toxin is low, the bird is likely to recover.

First aid for poisoning

If the poisonous juice gets into the stomach, you need to urgently call an ambulance, and while it is on the way to rinse.

An adult can drink a solution of potassium permanganate and induce vomiting. The volume of liquid is selected individually - one needs 300 ml, while the other will need 1 liter or more.

After profuse vomiting, you need to drink Smecta or activated charcoal and go to bed. The absorbent will prevent further absorption of the poison into the bloodstream, and the condition will gradually improve.

Toxins are eliminated from the body in fluids, so try to drink water as often as possible.

If a child is poisoned with zamioculcas poison, it is better to take him to the clinic immediately. This is especially true for children under 5 years old.

It is forbidden to wash their stomachs on their own! You can only aggravate a serious condition.

Further intoxication will also require the professional actions of doctors to relieve it competently and without consequences.

Fatal outcome

Plant sap can cause irreparable harm to the body.

Plant sap can cause irreparable harm to the body.

If the poison enters the body of a small child with allergies, or a person with an acute individual reaction becomes a victim of the toxin, a lethal outcome is possible.

It all depends on the volume of the substance that has entered the stomach. It is hardly possible to die from one or two leaves.

Important! The risk of death is excluded only with timely action to remove the poison from the body. If nothing is done, then even a small dose of the toxin can cause serious harm. Internal organs, especially the kidneys and liver, can be permanently damaged.

How to prevent poisoning

Any manipulations with zamiokulkas must be carried out with gloves. Even if pruning is not planned, the leaf can accidentally break off, and poisonous juice gets on the skin.

Do not touch the eyes and mouth while working with the plant. After the procedure, hands are thoroughly washed with soap and wiped dry.

It is better not to keep the flower at home, where there are small children and cats. It is simply removed from the dogs higher.

If one of the family members has an allergy of any etiology, the flower must also be abandoned. Even pollen can cause unpredictable reactions.

Useful videos

All plants from the Aroid family are fraught with a certain danger - poisonous sap. Therefore, they require careful handling. However, observing the rules of self-protection when transplanting and pruning, you can keep zamioculcas in the house without fear of poisoning. But you cannot neglect the rules so as not to risk your health and life.

Similar articles
Reviews and comments

We advise you to read:

How to make a bonsai from ficus